Which most closely describes you?

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Barley on the side


I think I will name my next pet Barley. Wouldn’t that be a great name for a dog? Ok, back to food. I find barley is so underrated. It’s fantasterrific swimming in soups, but I thoroughly enjoy spoonfuls of “big-bite-barley”as I call it, so I often swap it for rice in side and main dishes.
Here is an easy barley side dish:

You need:
1 cup pearl or pot barley
3 cups vegetable broth
1 zucchini, halved then chopped
1 cooking onion, halved then thinly sliced
3 cups fresh baby spinach
1 large tomato, roughly chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
Olive oil
Vegan margarine
Bay leaf
Herbes de Provence
Fresh thyme
Salt, pepper

Cook your barley in 2 ½ cups of the vegetable broth and toss in a bay leaf and a tsp of dried Herbes de Provence (or whatever herbs you have).

In the meantime, heat a tbsp of olive oil and a tsp of vegan margarine in a skillet. Cook your onions until almost caramelized. Toss in the garlic, tomatoes, zucchini, a sprig of thyme, a pinch of herbs, salt, pepper.

When barley is cooked, toss it in the skillet with the vegetables and add the remaining ½ cup of veggie broth. Toss in the spinach, a big slash of olive oil and cook until broth is fully absorbed.

3 comments:

  1. You've reminded me that I really need to buy some barley! It's getting pretty cold now, perfect barley recipe time!x

    ReplyDelete
  2. A must for slow cooker soups. I love barley too! I make a nice broccoli and barley salad seasoned with fresh herbs and some lemon juice or herb vinegar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love barley too, and it is a cute name! love the blog!

    ReplyDelete