Which most closely describes you?

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Big Brunch


Most days, breakfast is coffee, a handful of almonds and a fruit or two. But lately there is something about Sundays that puts me in a big brunching mood. A la table ce matin - rosti and banana pancakes - ouf! My belly hurts. Rosti is a traditional Swiss potato dish that is similar to hashbrowns but the potato is always grated and often cooked with different ingredients like bacon (ick), onions or cheese. Since an enormous serving of fried potatoes wasn't enough for this pig, I stuffed my face with banana pancakes too.


Rosti - you need:

Two large, waxy type potatoes, peeled and grated (for best results, use day old par boiled potatoes. but uncooked will work just fine.)
1/4 cup very thinly sliced onion (optional)
1 tbsp chopped fresh herbs (I used taragon, chives and dill)
Vegetable oil
1 tsp vegan margarine
Salt, pepper

Grate your potatoes with the largest holes on your cheese grater. Strain excess liquid. Heat a generous amount of vegetable oil and margarine in a non stick pan to medium high heat. Add potatoes, onions and herbs, pack them firmly together into a "pancake". Season with salt and pepper. Cover with lid and cook for ten minutes. Now the fun part. Flip the rosti onto a plate, add a touch more margarine to the pan then return rosti to the pan to cook the other side for another ten minutes. Garnish with sour cream (I used Yoso today), herbs and fresh veggies or fruit.

A couple of vegan banana pancakes - you need:

1/2 cup vanilla soy milk
1/2 cup all purpose flour
Half of one very ripe banana, smashed
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sugar or sweetner
Small splash of vanilla

In a bowl, combine banana with the soy milk, vanilla and sweetner (if it's liquid sweetner). In another bowl, sift together flour and baking power (and sugar or sweetner if it's dry sweetner). Combine dry and wet ingredients together and stir lightly. If you mix too rigorously, the pancake will be too tough. Cook them (recipe makes two medium pancakes) in a bit of oil or margarine (I find latter works better) in a non stick pan until golden on each side. I was feeling particularly piggy today so I garnished mine with icing sugar, maple syrup, margarine, walnuts and sliced bananas.

4 comments:

  1. Your pancakes look so good! I am such a fan of shredded vegetable pancakes but have never made rosti. I'll try them soon, though. How I wish I had nothing to do but surf the 'net and cook the delicious dishes I found there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great brunch, every now and then it's nice to treat yourself to a bigger brekky as I usually just have a banana or two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brunch rulz! and your brunch looks ultra yummy, esp those pancakes!!

    I recently had brunch at a joint called Ria's Blue Bird and tried their banana pancakes, which was actually buttermilk cakes with caramelized bananas in syrup overtop. MmmmMMM. reminds me I need to revisit that place. :))

    nice blog lady!
    jess s//

    ReplyDelete
  4. pauline9/1/10

    Made the banana pancakes this morning...delicious..thanks
    love your blog

    ReplyDelete