Which most closely describes you?

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Fatty Fat Fat Fried Her Food

Cajun deep fried pickles and onions. How could I resist? This is a veganized Emeril Lagasse recipe...my apologies. Man is he annoying.

I served these goodies atop a bed of coleslaw (chopped cabbage, vegenaise, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, chopped pickles, paprika).

You need:

About a dozen dill pickles, some whole, some halved, some quartered, for fun
1 large onion, sliced, rings pulled apart individually (you could also do onion wedges)

Part A of batter:
2 cups soy creamer
2 tsps hot sauce
Egg replacer equivalent to two eggs
(mix together in bowl A)

Part B of batter:
1 cup AP flour
1 cup corn flour
2 tbsps creole spice mix
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
As much cayenne as you want
salt, pepper
(mix together in bowl B)

Oil for frying

Heat about 3 inches of oil in a tall pot (or deep fryer...I purposely don't have one because I'm a big pig and I'd use it all the time) to 350 degrees. Dunk pickles and onion rings in bowl A, then bowl B, let them sit for a few minutes, then dunk again in bowl B. Deep fry in small batches until golden and crispy and delicious and fattening.

3 comments:

  1. I have never had a fried pickle, although I do wish I had tried them in my pre-vegan days...so that I'd know if I like them enough to veganize them!! I've really only ever seen them at this one "southern" place in Hawaii, and everyone always raved, but we never ordered them. I do love pickles though...

    ReplyDelete