Which most closely describes you?

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Curried Cauliflower Soup with Red Pepper Drizzle

There was a little Martha in me this Christmas. I wanted to share a little taste of my vegan holidays with the ladies at work, so I made them all this boootiful, colourful Michael Smith-inspired curried cauliflower soup with red pepper drizzle.

I am a huge, HUGE fan of Chef Michael Smith (Food Network Canada - Chef at Home, Chef Abroad). He's not vegan, not even vegetarian, but he consistently shines a big, bright spotlight on his veggie dishes. He's a big nerd over food, just like moi hehe. I totally dig his passion for flavour combinations. Did I just say "totally dig"??

Michael, je t'adore, but I've made a few adjustments to this recipe ;)

Soup:
1 large head of cauliflower, cut into florets
1 onion, diced
1 1/2 cups veg stock
1 1/2 cups orange juice
Olive oil, about a 1/4 cup
1/2 cup (loose) chopped fresh cilantro
A big slpash of Braggs
1 tbsp curry powder
Pinch more of turmeric, mainly to enhance the colour
Salt, pepper


Drizzle:
1 large red pepper
1/2 cup tomato juice
2 tbps olive oil
Salt, pepper



In a big baking pan, toss cauliflower and onion with olive oil, salt and pepper and bake in a 350 degree oven for at least 30 minutes or until a bit golden. When finished, combine cauliflower and onions with the rest of the soup ingredients (except the cilantro) in a large soup pot. Bring to a boil then turn the heat down and simmer for about 20 minutes. After about 15 minutes, puree the soup with an immersion blender (or in small batches in a blender) until smooth. Add cilantro at the very end.


In another pot, simmer all the red pepper drizzle ingredients together until peppers are very soft then puree until mixture is perfectly smooth. Pour soup in bowls and drizzle red pepper puree on top and garnish with more cilantro.
(pic above is from Food Network...i forgot to snap a shot of my own garnished soup :) )



2 comments:

  1. Looks amazing! Great gift. Wish I knew you! I made a garden sorrel soup last summer that had a carrot mint puree type drizzle thing and really liked the idea of the two tone soup. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I would be more than thrilled to get that as a Xmas present, instead of another ill-concieved scarf. I also have a weakness for Food Network... I even watch the shows focusing on meat, gleaning new ideas for sauces...

    ReplyDelete