Which most closely describes you?

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Chickpeas and Wilted Lettuce on Rice

Chickpeas remind me of my childhood. I remember the kids at school thinking it was funny when I'd eat them one by one out of a little container at recess.

Here is a dish that makes me feel good all over. Chickpeas on my favourite blend of rice - wild, brown, red and sweet - it has great nutty flavour. I bought it pre-mixed. You can find these blends at your local bulk store.


Cook the rice as directed but to the water add a veg broth cube, a bay leaf, 1tsp dried sage, pepper and a big splash of olive oil.

In a pan, sautee finely minced onion, garlic and chopped celery in olive oil with rosemary, salt and pepper on medium heat. When softened, add chickpeas (drained if you're using canned) and cook for another 5 minutes. Add a big handful of julienned romaine lettuce and cook until wilted - about 3 minutes. Deglaze your pan with your favourite liquid (I just used water because I had nothing fancy on hand). Spoon over rice!

1 comment:

  1. This is so good looking, I may have to try this soon. Thanks.

    http://nuestracena-vegancuisine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete