Which most closely describes you?

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Deep fried tofu for me, deep fried tofu for you


Deep fried tofu. It is my favourite thing on the planet. The best and biggest selection of deep fried tofu dishes drenched in perfectly balanced asian sauces that I have tried are in Chinatown Ottawa at what will forever be my favourite place to eat in the entire universe: So Good. I am not worthy, Peter So (manager, chef, and sauce maker extraordinaire), but here is one of many So Good tributes from my kitchen.

For one serving, start by deep frying about 6-8 cubes of medium tofu until really crispy on the outside (make sure you strain it and pat it dry before you fry). Set aside. Deep fry a handful of blanched almonds until golden, about 20 seconds. Set aside.


Now the sauce. In a bowl, whisk together a little more than half a cup of water with 2 tbsps of soy sauce, 1 heaping tbsp of hoisin sauce, 1 tsp of sugar or sweetner, sriracha sauce (I used a little less than a tsp), 1 tsp rice wine vinegar, half a tsp of tapioca starch (you can use potato or corn starch too), and 1 clove of garlic, minced.

Now in a wok, heat 2 tbsps of veg oil with a splash of sesame oil. Flavour your oil by tossing in a few chunks of peeled fresh ginger root and sizzle them for a few minutes and remove. Now on medium-high (closer to high) heat, stir fry your veggies for about 3 minutes alone then toss in your tofu and the sauce and stir fry for another 3 minutes.
That's it! Top with almonds!

(my veggies were broccoli, cauliflower, onions, bok choy, water chesnuts, bamboo shoots, carrots, celery)

1 comment:

  1. This looks so good! I never seem to get my tofu quite right. I think I need more practice!

    ReplyDelete